Dwarves, they diggy diggy hole.

Creating new content for Millénaire
felinoel

Dwarves, they diggy diggy hole.

Post by felinoel » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:13 pm

I'm picturing three village types, a mining colony, a mushroom farming colony, and a massive conglomerate dwarven kingdom.

Starting with the small mushroom farmers might be best.
With the way Millenaire works in order for the villages to be under a mountain, the entire village is basically considered one building so the entire mountain would need to be made essentially.

It might be easiest to make the final version of the village first and then work back from there.

The mushroom farmers would have a central townhouse for refining materials, two mushroom farms on opposite sides of the townhouse, a small mine, perhaps a lake for gathering cave fish... maybe or maybe just a pig farm instead, a stoneworker, and a cookery.

I am thinking of having the mushroom farmers convert red mushrooms into orange dye and brown mushrooms into brown dye in the townhouse and then having the cookery turning them into jaffa cakes... lol MAYBE, they would also make mushroom soup and fish/pig soup too.

TotalAnnihilation

Re: Dwarves, they diggy diggy hole.

Post by TotalAnnihilation » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:15 am

So uh, basically the mining colony, shroom farm and dwarven city are 3 seperate buildings?
And I'll need to create a mountain as well?

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:14 am

Technically they are a single building each... but in reality they are all entire villages with several buildings encased in a mountain.

TotalAnnihilation

Post by TotalAnnihilation » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:33 am

Alright, thanks! I'll start with the mushroom farm.

Also, each building will have 5 levels, correct?

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:33 am

felinoel wrote:Technically they are a single building each... but in reality they are all entire villages with several buildings encased in a mountain.
No let's start with the final village design and work our way back, don't do all stages of it yet because it is easier that way and I believe I explain why in this:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TyhW51GLxo

Also change of plans for the town hall, as a refining center for turning mushrooms into orange dye and cocoa beans, it should be a rune-covered hall of magicks.

I'm thinking individual redstone dusts along the flooring for that splattered look redstone dust has and lapis blocks here and there to enforce the magical feel. Use the Mayan gold blocks too and... MAYBE... redstone blocks...?

EDIT:
A redstone/diamond merging to produce a glowing, purple gem for decorative purposes was mentioned as the culture-specific item from the dwarves, but I think a rune block would be more appropriate, something that merges redstone, lapis, and diamonds seems appropriate. I considered emerald but... the green doesn't go well with the blue and red theme so far... /:

I'm picturing a carving tool to be bought at dwarven shops and when right clicking a redstone block while carrying lapis and a diamond it implants the diamond into the redstone block and produces glowing lapis-based runes that change slowly. This has nothing to do with the construction of the buildings themselves other than leaving a spot open for these. Thoughts on this block design anyone?

TotalAnnihilation

Post by TotalAnnihilation » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:28 am

The rune idea is great! Maybe add RNG textures as well, so they don't all look the same.
Also, I had some basic ideas for the various levels.

Level 1 is just some basic, temporary tents placed in a cavern.
Level 2 introduces basic housing carved into the walls.
Level 3 expands the cavern and adds stacked buildings.
Level 4 fortifies the town and puts the buildings a defensive pattern.
Level 5 further increases cavern size and makes houses more luxurious.

Ruff Ghanor

Post by Ruff Ghanor » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:21 pm

as a big fan of LOTR I'm a bit over excited about this

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:25 am

TotalAnnihilation wrote:The rune idea is great! Maybe add RNG textures as well, so they don't all look the same.
I will try to find a modmaker who can mod the block's texture to RNG
For now just use a redstone ore block with a diamond in a frame to indicate the runic block.
Also, I had some basic ideas for the various levels.

Level 1 is just some basic, temporary tents placed in a cavern.
Level 2 introduces basic housing carved into the walls.
Level 3 expands the cavern and adds stacked buildings.
Level 4 fortifies the town and puts the buildings a defensive pattern.
Level 5 further increases cavern size and makes houses more luxurious.
Well the thing is not every building has five stages, some have two and some have six.

The level 1 would be a massive mountain with a terrible cave entrance that leads to a great hall, the runic town center hall.

Level 2 would have pathways dug out in that cave on other side for mushroom farms in terrible caves, a small mine, and the runic hall would expand and a redstone spell circle would be seen on the floor

Level 3 would have the mine get bigger, the mushroom farms would be more fleshed out and look nicer and the great runic hall would have its first metals now that the mine has been around for some time so things like the Mayan gold blocks would show up on the walls as well as the redstone and lapis blocks.

Level 4 would have a terrible jagged cave that has fences and a fence gate and a single pig for the pig farm, a cookery for the jaffa cakes, and everything else gets better looking

Level 5 would be the finalized version of everything.

But this is just a rough idea of the process, it is subject to change.
Ruff Ghanor wrote:as a big fan of LOTR I'm a bit over excited about this
Ha, I considered using runes from LOTR but maybe the runes in an enchanting table fits better, if you have any ideas please suggest them.

TotalAnnihilation

Post by TotalAnnihilation » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:40 pm

Some private things happened, and I won't get to work on the buildings, sorry!

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:20 am

TotalAnnihilation wrote:Some private things happened, and I won't get to work on the buildings, sorry!
Errr, there is no time limit? It can wait if you have something stopping you.

But if this is actually you disagreeing with what I posted then I am open to hearing your thoughts?

Giant_LP

Post by Giant_LP » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:08 pm

That´s cool and nice and it´s bad that "Kinniken not active is. :cry:

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:48 pm

Giant_LP wrote:That´s cool and nice and it´s bad that "Kinniken not active is. :cry:
What do you mean?

viking132

Post by viking132 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:23 am

Gotta have that famous dwarven armor and weapons and beer :P

thomasito

Post by thomasito » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:19 pm

This gon be gud "unfold char to sit and waits patiently"

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:58 am

thomasito wrote:This gon be gud "unfold char to sit and waits patiently"
Sadly it looks like I am awaiting the mystery modders who will take over for Kinn.

MauveCloud

Post by MauveCloud » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Any chance of you coming back to this project?
felinoel wrote:Well the thing is not every building has five stages, some have two and some have six.
The range is more than that - I've found buildings that only have one stage (and I'm not just talking about player houses/plots - some cultures don't upgrade the groves, and there are a few others), and I found one that had 16 stages (the Mayan Observatory, or Kan Cha'an). AFAIK, there's no inherent limit to the number of upgrades for a building other than Integer.MAX_VALUE, so if you wanted to, you could probably have a building with 50 separate stages.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:24 pm

MauveCloud wrote:Any chance of you coming back to this project?
Yes actually!
I just found out that there is an option for buildings to spawn at bedrock level due to the Norman Creation Quest, I had always assumed that those spawnings were hard coded per building and not as options for the basic buildings!
The only problem here would be though that now there will be no natural entrance to dwarven homes... unless I do like a hundred ladders going up and just let them spawn weird depending on the height level... OR I could do 42 ladders going up and let the player find that and clean up the entrance.