Millenaire Needs More Bandits

Discuss Millénaire in English
Zoythrus

Millenaire Needs More Bandits

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:55 am

So, I just finished the Mayan Creation Quest, and found the quests that involved clearing out the encampments to be quite fun! So, it got me thinking, why don't the Bandits have anything similar? Why can't I find a bandit lair full of like, 10 men, instead of the 3-5 men you normally see?

So, I propose that we make a few more lone Bandit structures, preferably a few more that could be considered "Fortresses."

Xour

Re: Millenaire Needs More Bandits

Post by Xour » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:55 am

This is a good idea, a large complex structure such as an abandoned castle that has been taken by a large collection of bandits. The only problem would be getting them to stand in different areas, it might have to be built as a collection of building's.

If you create the Building and the skins for the bandits then I'll type up all the text documents for it.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:42 am

I would actually like to see a Bandit town. One that is hostile to everyone (and you, of course), but functions just like any other village. Bonus points if you're able to do something to gain their trust. More points if there was some way to bring them out of their bandit ways.

And about the bit about having bandits occupy an abandoned castle, I tried making one out of Nether Brick (I think that'd be an interesting mystery to solve), but then realized that I suck at making large structures.

Xour

Post by Xour » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:59 am

well A bandit town could work but I don't know of a way to make them become non-hostile you would need someone with more knowledge of Java than myself to complete that part of the task

However a Bandit village wouldn't be so hard to create. It could upgrade itself like any other village except you would be unable to sell to them. They would rely on raids and there economic buildings to upgrade constructions so you would have to make sure they are completely self sufficient.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:01 am

Xour wrote:well A bandit town could work but I don't know of a way to make them become non-hostile you would need someone with more knowledge of Java than myself to complete that part of the task.
I wish I was still in my coding classes. ;)

My idea on how to get them non-hostile would be to wear some "bandit gear" or something that their soldiers would have a chance at dropping. Wear a full set and they'll trade with you, get a high enough reputation and you won't need the suit anymore.

Xour

Post by Xour » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:04 am

well I would like to work on the idea of the Bandit town on my spare time. Again this armour idea is nice but still requires an experienced modder. I suppose if I put some time behind it then I could learn but it would take a while and it's not time that I have spare right now

Kinniken
Site Admin

Post by Kinniken » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Actually, there are already bandit castles... One Norman and one Japanese IIRC. But good ideas
in this thread. Pretty sure all is doable without new code save for a way to befriend the bandits.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Kinniken wrote:Actually, there are already bandit castles... One Norman and one Japanese IIRC. But good ideas
in this thread. Pretty sure all is doable without new code save for a way to befriend the bandits.
Well, is there a good way to check the player's inventory for a particular item?
If so, why not set the relationship with the village to the step right above "open conflict"?

If you can't get that to work, can we at least have an "always hostile" tag for "bandit villages"?

Xour

Post by Xour » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:42 am

Well I can make the bandits continuously hostile yes but to make them change status to non-hostile would require looking at kinniken's coding and while I'm sure I could pull it apart and work it out with a spare month I don't have the time to do that. He has given a way to turn ally villagers hostile so the work is already done you would just need to add a new instance to make them recognize the equipment you are wearing and then turn the hostile tag off. Another way might be to make the bandits ally to you if you are against the villages instead.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Xour wrote: However a Bandit village wouldn't be so hard to create. It could upgrade itself like any other village except you would be unable to sell to them. They would rely on raids and there economic buildings to upgrade constructions so you would have to make sure they are completely self sufficient.
I'm rezzing this thread because I started thinking about this very idea again, and wanted to bring it back into the spotlight.

If I was given a way to make villages start out as hostile (and make sure it was very difficult, but not impossible, to change their opinion) and a way to ensure that you could befriend them somehow, I'd make these bandit villages myself. I would also make sure that they were fully self-sufficient, such as being able to acquire iron/gold/obsidian/etc by themselves, so you could have a reward for conquering/befriending them.

Xour

Post by Xour » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:36 am

It's good concept but it's going to be difficult to make them change from hostile to friendly via a quest or something like that. Hope you can get this idea going though it sounds like an awesome add-on

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:33 am

Xour wrote:It's good concept but it's going to be difficult to make them change from hostile to friendly via a quest or something like that. Hope you can get this idea going though it sounds like an awesome add-on
Well, it'd just take a slight tweaking of the current system. Here's how I'd do it:

- Bandit Town starts as Hostile to everyone, and other villages have no ability to raise this at all - you couldn't praise the Bandits to increase reputation with another village.
- Bandit Town is also Hostile to you, and you can't come anywhere near them without being attacked. I'd make sure that they were given armor and weapons long before you had anything equivalent, so attacking them directly is pretty much suicide.
- Whenever Bandits are killed, or their chests looted, you can find an item, like either a full suit of "Bandit Armor" or a "Bandit Amulet" or whatever. Wearing this thing in the presence of Bandits will cause them to be "Neutral" or "Public Enemy" to you as long as you wear it.
- Once they stop firing at you, you can start working on gaining reputation with them. You can trade, ask for houses, etc; just as you would with any other village. If your reputation is "Favorite Trader" or above, you no longer need your "Bandit item" to get in.
- If you get a high enough reputation, you can talk to the Bandit Leader (the town leader, as usual) Praise/Slander other villages, eventually allowing them to befriend everyone and live as any normal village. As noted above, Praising/Slandering is 100% one-sided. It's from the perspective of the Bandit Village to the others, as no other village would be any bit interested in extending any sort of peace with Bandits.

So, it's probably not too difficult to change a few things. :)

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:34 pm

Zoythrus wrote:
Xour wrote: However a Bandit village wouldn't be so hard to create. It could upgrade itself like any other village except you would be unable to sell to them. They would rely on raids and there economic buildings to upgrade constructions so you would have to make sure they are completely self sufficient.
I'm rezzing this thread because I started thinking about this very idea again, and wanted to bring it back into the spotlight.

If I was given a way to make villages start out as hostile (and make sure it was very difficult, but not impossible, to change their opinion) and a way to ensure that you could befriend them somehow, I'd make these bandit villages myself. I would also make sure that they were fully self-sufficient, such as being able to acquire iron/gold/obsidian/etc by themselves, so you could have a reward for conquering/befriending them.
It is my understanding that there is an initial hostility setting for cultures, isn't there?

druha

Post by druha » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Cultures themselves can't be set as initially hostile; they start out neutral, plus or minus bonuses due to your interaction with other villages in their relation area.

Individual NPCs can be made hostile from the start but there is no way to change their opinion of you if that's done.

From what I've seen there is no way to accomplish this idea currently. I think it would require a change to the code.

And I fully support this idea.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:43 pm

druha wrote:Cultures themselves can't be set as initially hostile; they start out neutral, plus or minus bonuses due to your interaction with other villages in their relation area.

Individual NPCs can be made hostile from the start but there is no way to change their opinion of you if that's done.

From what I've seen there is no way to accomplish this idea currently. I think it would require a change to the code.

As I said, it doesn't seem so difficult to do. Heck, it'd take Kinnikan like, an hour to implement, probably.

Xour

Post by Xour » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:21 am

Zoythrus wrote:
druha wrote:Cultures themselves can't be set as initially hostile; they start out neutral, plus or minus bonuses due to your interaction with other villages in their relation area.

As I said, it doesn't seem so difficult to do. Heck, it'd take Kinnikan like, an hour to implement, probably.
Yes but kinniken is a fantastic modder who knows a lot about scripting, I'm sure it's possible to do but i doubt it would be "easy" to implement.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:44 am

I tried looking at Millenaire's files, opening them up in Netbeans (a Java IDE), and honestly, I've never seen any code of the sort before. So, until it gets translated, I can't do anything about it.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:51 pm

felinoel wrote:
Zoythrus wrote:

It is my understanding that there is an initial hostility setting for cultures, isn't there?
Oh my mistake, that must have been a feature that Kinn planned to add but changed his mind.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:32 pm

Well, my friend, Kinniken says that he's making a ton of changes and adding a slew of things, so maybe, Bandit Towns will be one of those things. He did say that he liked the idea!

Here's to hoping.
crosses fingers

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:06 am

Sorry for the double post, but here's something else that we need:

The power to summon bandit camps/forts with the summoning wand. Even if it's only in Creative mode, I'd like to have that option, just so I can have that option. :)

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Zoythrus wrote:Well, my friend, Kinniken says that he's making a ton of changes and adding a slew of things, so maybe, Bandit Towns will be one of those things. He did say that he liked the idea!

Here's to hoping.
crosses fingers
No this was like three or four years ago when he said that...

Techaninna

Post by Techaninna » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:31 am

In my opinion, I think Kinniken should be more focused on fixing the existing bugs in the current version (especially that f***ing "I'll be right there!" spam) than adding new features. It sounds like a great idea though, and the quest to earn your place in the bandit clan sounds fun. If one of the pro coders can make it happen, I'd certainly try it out. Then again, you would have some new issues to deal with the already annoying problems in default Millenaire like the aforementioned console spam. Maybe if the best of the best work on this project with care, it might be one of the best additions to the library, but who knows? Honestly, perfecting 6.0 is better and of more importance than the bandit culture, however cool it may be.
Zoythrus wrote:The power to summon bandit camps/forts with the summoning wand. Even if it's only in Creative mode, I'd like to have that option, just so I can have that option. :)
Wouldn't it also be nice to summon other lone buildings? Like when you reach leadership status with a culture, you can also place lumber mills and sheep farms out in the middle of nowhere, in between towns or small places? That would do a lot to add richness and variety to a world, but just a thought.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:16 pm

In the Bug Reports page I posted a possible solution for Kinn that hopefully he considers.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:45 pm

felinoel wrote:
Zoythrus wrote:Well, my friend, Kinniken says that he's making a ton of changes and adding a slew of things, so maybe, Bandit Towns will be one of those things. He did say that he liked the idea!

Here's to hoping.
crosses fingers
*looks around in this thread*
Oh, there he is, and he posted his approval on Sun Nov 09, 2014. Not 3-4 years ago.

Anyways, I'd like to see this in 1.8, as it seems like a relatively simple addition. But then, I'll also agree with Techaninna, and say that I'd also like the bugs ironed out first.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Zoythrus wrote:
felinoel wrote:

Here's to hoping.
crosses fingers
*looks around in this thread*
Oh, there he is, and he posted his approval on Sun Nov 09, 2014. Not 3-4 years ago.

Anyways, I'd like to see this in 1.8, as it seems like a relatively simple addition. But then, I'll also agree with Techaninna, and say that I'd also like the bugs ironed out first.
I was talking about the initial hostility settings for cultures?

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Oh, I thought you were talking about Bandit Villages. Sorry.