Merchants not trading

Discuss Millénaire in English
Elias

Merchants not trading

Post by Elias » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:51 am

I have set up a Gros Bourg village, left the game running overnight, and so far all the inns have 0 exports and imports. There are no constructions running since they need resources like cobblestone, wool, which could be taken from the other hamlets, and I believe they'd get the resources from Merchants travelling within villages.

The hamlets have a lot of resources stocked. All villages were active the entire time.

I've checked the inns. There are no resources stocked in any of the chests. The bourg has no constructions running.

How do I get the Merchants to trade?
Edit: Village relations are excellent. Also I checked the visitor list, it's always "arrived looking for work". No one sleeps in the inns.

kjdiehl

Re: Merchants not trading

Post by kjdiehl » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm

I feel like this is generally the case for my games as well. (I can think of observing some merchant trading months ago, in the early betas, but not recently.) Is it a bug or is there something we don't understand about how to encourage merchants to trade? And if it's something we don't understand, perhaps it could be changed a bit, or at least made easier to discover for players?

kjdiehl

Re: Merchants not trading

Post by kjdiehl » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm

I just re-read the wiki post on Merchants:
After 2 days in the village, they will attempt to find another village to go trade with.
If they can find a suitable village, they will instantly move to it at night along with their stock.
If the other village had a merchant already, he will move to the original village.
Merchants allow villages who cannot produce a needed good to get it, but they are by design slow (only one move every 2 days) and unreliable (they jump at random from suitable village to suitable village)
I recall an update during this recent beta process adding an inn to each village from start in order to encourage more trading. Is this still in the game, and did it also add an initial merchant? How many merchants can an inn support? Because I have a large world with a couple dozen villages, but most are many kilometers apart. So if a given town's merchant randomly tries trading with a far afield village does that mean they are then stuck trading with only that village? Do they teleport to these villages or walk?* I like the idea of walking because it makes more sense that they would trade with closer villages. It just seems odd and frustrating that I can have a Norman hamlet with inns in each, and they all need simple items like cobblestone, or wood, and yet they are all engaging in no trade with eachother, despite having chests full of the items that their neighbors need.

*If merchants walk between villages, again see my Trade Routes/Roads suggestion.https://www.millenaire.org/forum/viewto ... =13&t=1292 And if they prioritize path blocks to walk on, it allows the player to encourage which villages they should trade with, which gives players the ability to effectively create Trade Routes, should they choose. I believe this would be a very enjoyable added feature of the mod.