Help with house as lone building

Discuss Millénaire in English
MauveCloud

Help with house as lone building

Post by MauveCloud » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:12 pm

With some help from the guides in the Wiki and several tries, I was able to make myself a large starter house that spawns as a lone building:
This is with default textures. When I'm ready to actually start a new world, I will be using Sphax PureBDCraft textures, Optifine connected textures, and even SEUS shaders. I might also change it to use BOP pine planks instead of birch.

However, there are still a few things I'd like to fix if possible:
1. It spawned in Jungle (and partly Jungle Hills), even though I didn't specify those as valid biomes for it. Here is the text file I made that specifies the biomes (among other things):

Code: Select all

name:Mauve House

weight:1000
radius:30
biome:Plains
biome:Forest
biome:River
biome:Taiga
biome:Flower Forest
biome:Sunflower Plains
biome:Birch Forest

// BOP biomes
biome:Brushland
biome:Chaparral
biome:Cherry Blossom Grove
biome:Flower Field
biome:Grassland
biome:Grove
biome:Meadow
biome:Orchard
biome:Sacred Springs
biome:Seasonal Forest
biome:Shrubland
biome:Woodland

max:1

centre:mauvehouse
2. I have little or no control over the exact Y level it spawns at. Is there something I can add to make it spawn at a specific Y level (or at least at a narrower range than default)? The "anomalies" in the Alchemist quest spawn deep underground, but I don't see anything in their text files to explain that, so I'm guessing there's some special code deep inside the mod to handle them, and there might not be a way to do it for custom buildings.
3. I was hoping to make it spawn with several empty vanilla chests, but based on some comments in blocklist.txt, I'm not sure that's possible. I guess it's not that big a deal, though.

MoonCutter2B

Re: Help with house as lone building

Post by MoonCutter2B » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:41 pm

If this is 1.12.2 then there could still be problems with the code = could spawn in wrong biome etc.
The "y" is always a problem but selecting the flatter biomes should help.
You should be able to have vanilla chests in that when you save it.
All player houses in the 5 cultures uses / should use vanilla chests so it should be possible.

MauveCloud

Post by MauveCloud » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Exporting the building (that I'd originally built in a survival world) converted the vanilla chests to either main chests or locked chests (I forget which), and seemed to prevent the building from spawning, so I converted them to "empty".

Looking at the player building .pngs, they use 128/32/0, which has the comment "regular Minecraft chest. Auto-converted to locked chest on load. kept for backward compatibility only." I checked a player house I'd ordered in an older world, and it indeed had given me vanilla chests, so I thought maybe there was special code to handle it for player houses (that wouldn't apply to lone buildings). However, I went ahead and tried it with a creative world, and it worked (aside from some of them facing walls unexpectedly, but that's easily remedied in-game).

Unfortunately, after having made several creative worlds for testing, I discovered a much bigger problem: the amount of exploration needed to get this building to spawn varies wildly (even when traveling through appropriate biomes), so it's possible I'd given up too soon in my earlier tests with the chests as exported, and they weren't really preventing the building from spawning. The guide does say "Size and footprint of building, especially in hilly terrain, seems to have more of an effect on how often the building spawns than the weight of the building." However, I hadn't initially realized how significant that was. The size includes that decorative moat and two blocks beyond in each direction, bringing it to 43 by 49. Very few default buildings from the mod beat it for size - searching, I find the Japanese Bandit Fort (53x51), Japanese Hot Springs Inn (84x65), Japanese Outpost (53x51), Japanese Kufun Tomb B variant (58x37), and the Pantheon (120x88).

Kinniken
Site Admin

Post by Kinniken » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:51 pm

If your building is large make sure the radius is large too. Sorry, no way to set the altitude - the anomalies have a special bedrock tag that changes the generation, but that only works for bedrock level buildings.

No idea what's up with the biomes.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Kinniken wrote:If your building is large make sure the radius is large too. Sorry, no way to set the altitude - the anomalies have a special bedrock tag that changes the generation, but that only works for bedrock level buildings.

Wait, what?!
Bedrock level building tags exist?!?????!?

>.>
Tell me more~

MauveCloud

Post by MauveCloud » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:41 pm

felinoel wrote:
Kinniken wrote:If your building is large make sure the radius is large too. Sorry, no way to set the altitude - the anomalies have a special bedrock tag that changes the generation, but that only works for bedrock level buildings.

Wait, what?!

>.>
Tell me more~
Since Kinniken hasn't responded yet, perhaps I can provide more details. I looked into this a little, and it looks like the "tag" mentioned is actually a quest option (look at alchemist_8_anomalyb.txt for an example), rather than a building tag. I guess that's bad news for your Dwarves culture idea :( , but maybe you can still do something with a very low startLevel, like say -50, and fill most of the upper levels with "preserveground".

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:58 pm

MauveCloud wrote:
felinoel wrote:

Wait, what?!

>.>
Tell me more~
Since Kinniken hasn't responded yet, perhaps I can provide more details. I looked into this a little, and it looks like the "tag" mentioned is actually a quest option (look at alchemist_8_anomalyb.txt for an example), rather than a building tag. I guess that's bad news for your Dwarves culture idea :( , but maybe you can still do something with a very low startLevel, like say -50, and fill most of the upper levels with "preserveground".
I spoke with Kinn about this and he seems to think that it is possible to be used.

BUT yeah the -50 startlevel and preserving ground was the method I was originally planning.

Kinniken
Site Admin

Post by Kinniken » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:06 am

Speaking purely from memory, that tag is not quest-related, it's just only used in quests for now. However, even if using it you spawn buildings at bedrock level, there is no provision for pathing etc underground. I'm assuming it would work for underground "lone buildings", but not villages.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Kinniken wrote:Speaking purely from memory, that tag is not quest-related, it's just only used in quests for now. However, even if using it you spawn buildings at bedrock level, there is no provision for pathing etc underground. I'm assuming it would work for underground "lone buildings", but not villages.
I was planning on making one large building with upgradable subbuildings, like the old Walled Norman Town

Kinniken
Site Admin

Post by Kinniken » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Ah, that would probably work.