Feature Request: translate names of things on signs

Discuss Millénaire in English
kjdiehl

Feature Request: translate names of things on signs

Post by kjdiehl » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I love Millenaire, and its languages and cultures are one of the coolest aspects of the mod. However, I find the translation as it exists to be lacking. Yes, once you "learn" the language you can now trade, hire, and otherwise interact with the villagers. However, the village signs, which are one of the more useful tools in the mod, are still completely inscrutable. I understand that calling it Bukkyou Mura instead of Religious Village, or Kikori Koya instead of Lumberman's House, or Daibutsu instead of Lone Buddha is all more immersive. However, it only serves to confuse me and I have to constantly refer to the Wiki to figure out what everything is. In fact, if I was able to instantly know (without having to refer to the wiki,) that one village was religious, while another was military, I'd argue that immersion would actually improve, as I'd have a stronger association in my head of what each thing was. Heck, the English names of things are used in the Wiki, as well as in the actual code of the mod itself.

My request would be to translate all these names and titles of village, building, and occupation types, along with the villagers speech. I'm sure there are players that like it the way things are, and may even play enough to memorize all the names of things, but for new and casual players, the mod will remain inscrutable and I think likely to reduce its potential popularity. Perhaps this could be added as an option, to satisfy all groups, though I suspect that would be slightly more work?

How does anyone else feel?

Oh, and PS, where would you like us to post Feature Requests?

agon999

Re: Feature Request: translate names of things on signs

Post by agon999 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:05 pm

i agree this would help and posts such as these belong in the suggestion section of the forum But i would also like to know which village is which.

kjdiehl

Post by kjdiehl » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:24 pm

agon999 wrote:i agree this would help and posts such as these belong in the suggestion section of the forum But i would also like to know which village is which.
I see it now, thanks! Admins, please feel free to move this post there! Thanks!

EDIT: though, I do notice that the Suggestions folder gets much less traffic and attention than this main page...

bl0ke

Post by bl0ke » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Translating the screens where you buy a plot/building would be handy too. I can tell what a 'Tres Grande Terrain' is but some of the other languages are beyond me.

kjdiehl

Post by kjdiehl » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 pm

I think basically translating everything except the proper names of Villages and Villagers, basically, is what I would prefer. Maybe some cultural items, like sake, could stay untranslated if they have a common English understanding. But just calling it Rice Wine would be fine by me too.

MauveCloud

Post by MauveCloud » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:19 am

I will add my vote to this as well. As of Beta 19, it is possible to use millenaire-custom to change the "native" names of buildings so they'll show in English in the village leader dialog (by the time I have enough reputation to buy one, I've probably also gotten my language status up to "fluent", so it doesn't make much sense to only list them with their "native" names in this interface), but one side effect of this is to make them show up twice on the boards (once as "native" and once as "English") when building or waiting to be built. Changing village type names via millenaire-custom doesn't have any obvious side-effects that I've noticed so far, but I imagine it could interfere if later builds add new buildings, so having some language file entries for them (and an option for whether to use them, in case there are any players who have reasons for preferring to leave them in the native languages) might be safer.