Megathread: Let's Talk About the Hindi

Discuss Millénaire in English
Zoythrus

Megathread: Let's Talk About the Hindi

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:18 am

Hello, everyone! Zoythrus here, and we're going to talk about everyone's favorite mudbrick-using people - the Hindi!

Today's thread is going to be about the Hindi, and only about the Hindi. Here is where you want to talk about anything you want Hindi related in the interest of helping us better the culture. Talk about what you like and dislike, what you find fun and what you find boring, ideas to add to the culture and things to remove.

If you want to talk about the Normans, go here:
http://millenaire.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1236

RULES:

Keep the discussion civil, we're all friends here. If you disagree with someone's opinion, please, try to have a reasonable discourse.

This thread is about the Hindi. Any unrelated posts, memes, discussion, and etc will be removed. We're here for a very specific purpose - our desert-dwelling friends.

Related to the above point, we do not want to talk about bug reports or the Hindi Creation Quest. Those are things that will be worked out later.

Millenaire is set in the 11th century. Keep that in mind when you discuss them. While Millenaire might be loosely historically inspired, we want to keep things focused on the 11th century.

Not that this should be a problem, but repeat offenders who refuse to play by these nice rules will be banned, and we don't want that to happen.

Have fun!
-Zoythrus

felinoel

Re: Megathread: Let's Talk About the Hindi

Post by felinoel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:27 am

I went through hundreds of shovels and had to tear up an entire desert building that palace...

It takes 17,316 blocks of sand for the palace ALONE.

http://millenaire.org/wiki/Hindi:Mahal

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:31 am

felinoel wrote:I went through hundreds of shovels and had to tear up an entire desert building that palace...

We might either A. Make Sandstone a little more plentiful from the quarries or B. Add a new "Sand Pit" building which is simply a quarry dedicated to sand.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:35 am

Zoythrus wrote:
felinoel wrote:I went through hundreds of shovels and had to tear up an entire desert building that palace...

We might either A. Make Sandstone a little more plentiful from the quarries or B. Add a new "Sand Pit" building which is simply a quarry dedicated to sand.
A would be the best option imo because it doesn't change anything visibly - as far as the player can tell it is the same

sakkarCZ

Post by sakkarCZ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:52 pm

felinoel wrote:
Zoythrus wrote:

A would be the best option imo because it doesn't change anything visibly - as far as the player can tell it is the same
Is it possible that every culture will have theyer mines more specialized? For example Hinds max lvl mine will produce more sand then other materials, Norman-more stone,iron or whatever, Byzanc- more clay. I think it will bring more economi to the mod and villages will have to more cooperate.

I know this is aboud hinds so sorry for writting aboud all cultures.

Sorry for my bad English. I hope you understand all.

KidEdibleGareth

Post by KidEdibleGareth » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Still on the topic of the mines, what about for each culturE you can mine out of the mine and it will slowly regen? That way mines are useful directly to the player

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:49 am

KidEdibleGareth wrote:Still on the topic of the mines, what about for each culturE you can mine out of the mine and it will slowly regen? That way mines are useful directly to the player
Well, as we both know, the Millagers pull resources out of thin air as a form of abstraction. Why do they have access to the powers of abstraction? Because reasons.

Also, if mines regenerated, they'd probably regenerate far too slowly for any practical benefit. It'd be far more practical to just dig down a few blocks into the side of a mountain, and BAM, infinite cobblestone.

[quoteIs it possible that every culture will have theyer mines more specialized? For example Hinds max lvl mine will produce more sand then other materials, Norman-more stone,iron or whatever, Byzanc- more clay. I think it will bring more economi to the mod and villages will have to more cooperate.

I know this is aboud hinds so sorry for writting aboud all cultures.

Sorry for my bad English. I hope you understand all.[/quote]

This is actually the direction we'll probably take it. I'll see what I can do about specializing everyone a little bit more. Also, your English is fine and I'm perfectly fine with you discussing other cultures in this regard, as you're staying on topic.

thor314ga

Post by thor314ga » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:47 pm

This faction seems to be one of the ones that requires the most grinding to create their building blocks. The mansion requires around 2000 cooked bricks. To create these, you first need to buy a lot of brick molds, and then need to mine 2000 dirt, and 2000 sand. You then place it all on the ground, and wait for the sun to bake it. You then have to mine all of the bricks again. After this, you have to cook all of the bricks in a furnace before you can sell it. Overall, it took me hours to get all of the cooked bricks required for this building :? . Don't even get me started on the town hall... In comparison to the other factions which only build with resources like wood, cobblestone, or clay, you are doing a lot more work...

sakkarCZ

Post by sakkarCZ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:33 pm

It will be good if there will be some bonuses from upgrading buildings. You know You have to mine thousends of materials and after all you get almost nothing. Maybe you can make them work faster or they start making enchants after this enormous (large, big, I dont know if I writ it right) building upgrades.

As I wrote in other page IT will be good if you will be able ( if you can) buy material from miners. They are sometimes bugy and they not put material in city chest and they let it home.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:46 pm

sakkarCZ wrote:It will be good if there will be some bonuses from upgrading buildings. You know You have to mine thousends of materials and after all you get almost nothing. Maybe you can make them work faster or they start making enchants after this enormous (large, big, I dont know if I writ it right) building upgrades.
This is planned in some regard. We haven't figured out quite how we'll do it, but we'll do it. We do want upgrades to mean something.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:07 pm

sakkarCZ wrote: Is it possible that every culture will have theyer mines more specialized? For example Hinds max lvl mine will produce more sand then other materials, Norman-more stone,iron or whatever, Byzanc- more clay. I think it will bring more economi to the mod and villages will have to more cooperate.
Maybe not iron, iron is supposed to be semi-rare for villagers to give the player a good thing to trade for rep

sakkarCZ

Post by sakkarCZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:02 pm

felinoel wrote:
sakkarCZ wrote: Is it possible that every culture will have theyer mines more specialized? For example Hinds max lvl mine will produce more sand then other materials, Norman-more stone,iron or whatever, Byzanc- more clay. I think it will bring more economi to the mod and villages will have to more cooperate.
Maybe not iron, iron is supposed to be semi-rare for villagers to give the player a good thing to trade for rep
First of all, thank you for response felinoel.

You are probably right, but in my view normans (or any other) could still produce more iron, but in late game. You know they could mine more iron when mines (quarries) are almost max lvl. And I thinky when you are giving villigers needed resourses from beginning, you will have too much money and rep. at this time. In every play I most of my money and rep. got from trading with cobblestone and other common resources. (Maybe I just play it in a bad way :D ).

Mining more iron in quarry in late game could make people more intereact in mp. For example, more developed cities could support new players with theyr small villages.

But, with the older post, I just mentioned that villages need more specializations. Norman could still produce more stone, oak wood for example. When I play all nations are almost same for me. But I have no more ideas how to make them more different than through some of these advantages. All nations could have some disadvantages too. For example those normans could have more production of iron in late game, but big consumption of iron in some tools through all stages of city.

I hope someone could read this, becouse my english is so terrible. Thank you for any response.