Millenaire needs more developers?

Discuss Millénaire in English
MoonCutter2B

Millenaire needs more developers?

Post by MoonCutter2B » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:54 am

Hi!
I'm not sure how far the rewrite has gotten and I have no idea of how much is left to do before there might be an alfa or beta.
I'v been answering questions regarding Millenaire both here and on minecraftforums trying to help players with 1.7.10, but sadly my most common answer is "cannot really help, we have to wait for some kind of update"

And seeing how other mods are struggling to update I notice that most living big mods are now a joint effort of a number of modders, not just one or two, I wonder if it isn't time to do that with Millenaire too.

I love Millenaire and really don't want to play MC without it. And Millenaire has huge potential.

I'm not the best Java developer in world, not the best in my hometown and maybe not even the best in the apartment house I live in, but I have been professionell software developer for a number of years and still use those skills working as a professional test developer and test automator.

I have written a very small mod once just for fun and I'm willing to at least take a look at Millenaire from the developer side, if that could help with the progress.

Any thoughts?

/MoonCutter2B

Samsonyt

Re: Millenaire needs more developers?

Post by Samsonyt » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:19 pm

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the mod went open source. Though I feel like that's not going to happen any time soon.

MoonCutter2B

Post by MoonCutter2B » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Open source is to not what I want (at least not for now).
Someone has to keep it together and maintain the spirit of the mod.

oilergui

Post by oilergui » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:11 pm

I'm new in the forum, but I'm with MoonCutter2B... I'm not the best Java developer, but I would like to see the developer side of the Millenaire, is a great mod, have a lot of potential and I love to play with it.

But I'm interested in see what happen if go to open source, in GitHub for example. I probably would take a look in the code.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:38 pm

I sent this thread to Galian, and he says that he really doesn't want it to go open source. That'd be a mess that nobody truly wants.

Really, he understands that it's hard to be patient, and he's trying his best to get the next version out sometime this century. But trust me, he's working on it, and he wants the next version of Millenaire out just as much as you do!

Samsonyt

Post by Samsonyt » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:50 am

Okay... my apologies. I was not advocating the mod go open source. I was just thinking it would be interesting to see the outcome if that ever were to happen. Anyway, the original intention of this thread was to ask if MoonCutter could offer any help. So i'll try to shut up now.

Zoythrus

Post by Zoythrus » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:21 pm

Samsonyt wrote:Okay... my apologies. I was not advocating the mod go open source. I was just thinking it would be interesting to see the outcome if that ever were to happen. Anyway, the original intention of this thread was to ask if MoonCutter could offer any help. So i'll try to shut up now.
Really, no one wants an open source Millenaire, as then it'd split into multiple forks and then nobody would ever be satisfied with the results. The reason is because Millenaire actually has some rhyme and reason to it, a sense of "inclusiveness," and an established "canon;" but it'd quickly lose those things if everyone got to mess around with it. It would increase player base, but lose the charm that we've come to know and love.

Anyways, MoonCutter, if you want to help out, send a PM to Galian. He might be needing some assistance.

felinoel

Post by felinoel » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Zoythrus wrote:Really, no one wants an open source Millenaire
Including Kinn, he has outright stated that Millenaire won't go open source.