Millenaire update (or recreation)

Discuss Millénaire in English
Post Reply
User avatar
GalianRyu
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 am
Location: R'yleh
Contact:

Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by GalianRyu » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:02 pm

Hey All,

Has anyone heard from Kinniken recently? I'm beginning to get worried that Millenaire may be in danger of being defunct. That said, I wanted to offer Kinniken help in updating and fixing the mod, if he would like it and sees this. I've been Forge modding for a year now (and was making Modloader mods all the way back when Millenaire first appeared). Millenaire is one of my favorite mods, I want to see it updated to 1.8 and the litany of bugs being reported addressed.

Now, if no one's heard from Kinniken, there's also the possibility of recreating the mod (basically just trying to replicate the gameplay and functionality in a new Mod). If there's no word from Kinniken soon, would people be interested in me making a Millenaire Redux mod?

HavenYaY
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:23 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by HavenYaY » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:05 am

Absolutely! That would be the best. If I could choose only one mod, it would always be Millenaire!

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by felinoel » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:09 am

I've heard from him and he says he is still updated, just remember he has to pretty much remake the entire mod and it is a rather large mod.

User avatar
GalianRyu
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 am
Location: R'yleh
Contact:

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by GalianRyu » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:47 am

Well hopefully he will come around with a status update soon. And again, if anyone talks to him, let him know I would love to help him. No credit or anything needed, I just want to see an updated, functional Millenaire again :mrgreen:

ExclamationJ
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by ExclamationJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:04 pm

Waiting patiently for an update as well ((:

viking132
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:30 am

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by viking132 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:20 pm

Looking forward to it too :) i hope kinniken uses the new vanilla mutton to replace the lamb in millenaire

User avatar
GalianRyu
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 am
Location: R'yleh
Contact:

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by GalianRyu » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Another idea would be to use the now integrated Config system rather than the original Millenaire file IO system. It would mean original content would have to be recreated to be using .cfg files, but a lot of the bugs I see on the forums here (and experience when I play with Millenaire in 1.7.10) are because files are failing to be read. The other upshot of using cfg files, or at least modelling the File IO after it, is that cfg files are only read when the server starts up and shuts down, otherwise the data is held in memory. No more server crashes due to a file IO exception mid-game!

Samsonyt
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:52 am

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by Samsonyt » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:32 pm

felinoel wrote:I've heard from him and he says he is still updated, just remember he has to pretty much remake the entire mod and it is a rather large mod.
Do you just talk with him??? When did he say that? As far as I know, he has has been totally silent since his last update post, which was quite a while ago. I would love to see someone take over with millenaire unless you are saying you have actually heard from him recently.

User avatar
GalianRyu
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 am
Location: R'yleh
Contact:

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by GalianRyu » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:46 am

That was the gist of my original question. I can tell it's been 8+ months since he's posted here, on MCF, or anywhere else that I know. The last time he even logged onto the site was August. That's a long time for zero communication, but if people are talking to him on Skype/PMs/or in the real world and know he's working on it, then that's great news.

If not, then can someone try to do one of those and make sure he's still working on it? I know he's got a family and other awesome real world things to spend time on, but if he doesn't have the time to work on it, than I will happily help wherever I am able.

MoonCutter2B
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:56 am

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by MoonCutter2B » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:05 pm

a) Yes please, if someone actually have contact with Kinniken, pls ask him to at least log on and say "hi".

b) Since some of the bugs are in the form of data corruption (I guess when MC or PC crashes or the server load is to high) I suggest some sort of back-up system for the saved data. Or even saving important village data in some more vanilla MC like thing. Maybe save some text in a vanilla book that the mod can read if the normal data gets corrupt?

thomasito
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by thomasito » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:29 pm

MoonCutter2B wrote:a)
b) Since some of the bugs are in the form of data corruption (I guess when MC or PC crashes or the server load is to high) I suggest some sort of back-up system for the saved data. Or even saving important village data in some more vanilla MC like thing. Maybe save some text in a vanilla book that the mod can read if the normal data gets corrupt?
This happend to a ambitious almost finished mod for medival total war 2.
well some harddisk crashed and the data was unretrievable.
They lost loads of progress on varius aspects of the mod, it broke the team and a short while later the mod itself.
these are things you cant see comming, but gotta prepare for nonetheless.
beter safe then sorry right? :)

Ether
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:31 am

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by Ether » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:36 am

It could be amazing if Kinniken can let someone to help him with this fantastic mod! I can understand that he can be busy with his small kid and porting takes ages, but it's could be great if someone can fix current 1.7.10 version to work better and you don't have to panic all time about breaking your villages accidentally.
I only found out this mod quite lately thanks to Regrowth modpack let's plays and then tried it myself in customized DW20 pack. Except one messup at very beginning it's been working fine and me and my friend both really love it.
Could be really shame if mod gets more and more outdated and unstable and in end completely forgotten. It adds so much to minecraft world.

oblisgr
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by oblisgr » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:49 pm

He could give it open source and let someone else continue the mod.
The same thing was happened with Sim-U-Kraft from 1.6.4 to 1.7.0 and the mod revived to a point.
There are many good modders out there to work on it.

User avatar
GalianRyu
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 am
Location: R'yleh
Contact:

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by GalianRyu » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:26 am

Ether wrote:It could be amazing if Kinniken can let someone to help him with this fantastic mod! I can understand that he can be busy with his small kid and porting takes ages, but it's could be great if someone can fix current 1.7.10 version to work better and you don't have to panic all time about breaking your villages accidentally.
I only found out this mod quite lately thanks to Regrowth modpack let's plays and then tried it myself in customized DW20 pack. Except one messup at very beginning it's been working fine and me and my friend both really love it.
Could be really shame if mod gets more and more outdated and unstable and in end completely forgotten. It adds so much to minecraft world.
Happens with all mine if they unload for any reason. You come back and new villagers just stand in place and the buildings they live in don't show upo n the village map...like it forgot part of what development it had. It's made me very sad.

This, more than necessarily seeing on 1.8, is why I want to help and make sure the mod is updated. I want to see an unbroken Millenaire again.

overconfidentduh
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by overconfidentduh » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:16 pm

:? what about for the windows ten edition ?

MoonCutter2B
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:56 am

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by MoonCutter2B » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:32 pm

overconfidentduh wrote::? what about for the windows ten edition ?
I have Millenaire in my 1.7.10 world on my windows 10 pc so I guess you are talking about something else.
Millenaire needs Forge and as far as I know Forge only works for the desk top versions of Minecraft.

PsiGuy60
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by PsiGuy60 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:50 am

MoonCutter2B wrote:
overconfidentduh wrote::? what about for the windows ten edition ?
I have Millenaire in my 1.7.10 world on my windows 10 pc so I guess you are talking about something else.
Millenaire needs Forge and as far as I know Forge only works for the desk top versions of Minecraft.
The Windows 10 Edition is its own thing, based on I believe C++ .NET instead of Java. This makes it a gigantic undertaking to port mods between the two versions - it's like translating the Bible from its original Latin to Mandarin Chinese. It's *possible*, but by the time you're done with it the version you made it for is deprecated.

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by felinoel » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:52 am

PsiGuy60 wrote:
MoonCutter2B wrote:
overconfidentduh wrote::? what about for the windows ten edition ?
I have Millenaire in my 1.7.10 world on my windows 10 pc so I guess you are talking about something else.
Millenaire needs Forge and as far as I know Forge only works for the desk top versions of Minecraft.
The Windows 10 Edition is its own thing, based on I believe C++ .NET instead of Java. This makes it a gigantic undertaking to port mods between the two versions - it's like translating the Bible from its original Latin to Mandarin Chinese. It's *possible*, but by the time you're done with it the version you made it for is deprecated.
It is my understanding that the Windows 10 Edition is going to be the new version of Minecraft in order to leave java behind.

So eventually modders would have to update to it.

MoonCutter2B
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:56 am

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by MoonCutter2B » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:49 am

I don't agree with your thoughts about Windows 10 version being the new main version of Minecraft.
C++ makes it very hard/impossible to mod. So I don't think there vill be any c++ version of forge and therefor no mods.
And the the Windows 10 version will not run on Mac and Linux unless they starts creating different builds for each OS. And different versions = lot of more testing = higher costs.

User avatar
GalianRyu
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 am
Location: R'yleh
Contact:

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by GalianRyu » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:23 pm

felinoel wrote: It is my understanding that the Windows 10 Edition is going to be the new version of Minecraft in order to leave java behind.

So eventually modders would have to update to it.
I've only heard this from doomsday-types on the Modding forums, lamenting that it will be the death of modding (and it would be).

Which is probably why the only thing Mojang talks about is the eventual update to 1.10 and having Occulus support in Minecraft proper. I believe Minecraft for Windows 10 is going to be like the Pi Edition, ie: a gimmick.

PsiGuy60
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by PsiGuy60 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:05 am

GalianRyu wrote:
felinoel wrote: It is my understanding that the Windows 10 Edition is going to be the new version of Minecraft in order to leave java behind.

So eventually modders would have to update to it.
I've only heard this from doomsday-types on the Modding forums, lamenting that it will be the death of modding (and it would be).

Which is probably why the only thing Mojang talks about is the eventual update to 1.10 and having Occulus support in Minecraft proper. I believe Minecraft for Windows 10 is going to be like the Pi Edition, ie: a gimmick.
Basically this. From what I understand the Windows 10 edition is close to the Pocket Edition, in that it's very much *not* intended to replace the Java versions.

User avatar
GalianRyu
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 am
Location: R'yleh
Contact:

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by GalianRyu » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:32 pm

PsiGuy60 wrote:
GalianRyu wrote:
felinoel wrote: It is my understanding that the Windows 10 Edition is going to be the new version of Minecraft in order to leave java behind.

So eventually modders would have to update to it.
I've only heard this from doomsday-types on the Modding forums, lamenting that it will be the death of modding (and it would be).

Which is probably why the only thing Mojang talks about is the eventual update to 1.10 and having Occulus support in Minecraft proper. I believe Minecraft for Windows 10 is going to be like the Pi Edition, ie: a gimmick.
Basically this. From what I understand the Windows 10 edition is close to the Pocket Edition, in that it's very much *not* intended to replace the Java versions.
I should clarify a bit. I hear it from the doomsayers and I also hear it from a handful of modders. This handful of modders meets very specific criteria:
- They learned to program on C++ before Java and think C++ is the greatest/only programming language in the world.
- They sincerely hope that if they keep repeating Minecraft for Window 10 with replace regular Minecraft, it will come true and they can show everyone how awesome programming in C++ is. Even if everyone else stares at it in abject horror.

For the record, as I have taught beginning programming before, the best languages for entry-level programming are: Java, Python, and Ruby. Which exact order those 3 belong in is largely a matter of choice, and depends on what sort of thing you plan to be programming.

I know how to code in C++ and I do like it, the depth afforded by memory and pointer manipulation in it makes for some wicked cool data structures, but that also makes it a nightmare if you're not already seasoned. Both colleges I attended/worked at started by teaching Java and then expanded on it into C++. That's the axiom of computer science: if it's powerful, it's not easy to understand; if it's easy to understand, it's not powerful.

Mojang wanted Minecraft to be something people created their own content for from the get-go, that's why they programmed it in Java. You can go over a few tutorials at w3schools.com and know enough to at least do a basic mod. That's by design, they aren't going to move it to a more difficult language after all this time, and hoping or dreading it is just silly. Minecraft is a Java application, always will be.

*end rant on programming standards* Sorry, but that's bothered me ever since MC for Win 10 came out and a bunch of people used it as an excuse to be terrible human beings to all the beginner modders learning Java.

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by felinoel » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:08 pm

MoonCutter2B wrote:I don't agree with your thoughts about Windows 10 version being the new main version of Minecraft.
C++ makes it very hard/impossible to mod. So I don't think there vill be any c++ version of forge and therefor no mods.
And the the Windows 10 version will not run on Mac and Linux unless they starts creating different builds for each OS. And different versions = lot of more testing = higher costs.
Why can't they put in their own code a way to make it more possible to mod? Make their own 'forge'

Why would Windows care if Apple and Linux users cannot play their game?

Orange1861
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:11 am

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by Orange1861 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Windows 10 is for laptops that are weak.
- Part time modder. Loves playing Minecraft and adores NPCs in most games.

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by felinoel » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 pm

Orange1861 wrote:Windows 10 is for laptops that are weak.
Remember when Windows though tablets were what everyone wants and made their new OS for tablets only but with minor desktop computer capabilities?

User avatar
GalianRyu
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 am
Location: R'yleh
Contact:

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by GalianRyu » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:32 am

felinoel wrote:
Orange1861 wrote:Windows 10 is for laptops that are weak.
Remember when Windows though tablets were what everyone wants and made their new OS for tablets only but with minor desktop computer capabilities?
And notice that Microsoft doesn't seem to be able to sell said tablets, no matter what they do. It's hard to predict the future of computing. Nobody say WiFi coming when it did, iPhones suddenly invented an entirely new realm of computing devices before anyone could react, and yet the tablet market have only had lukewarm success despite the fact that Apple, Google, and Microsoft through money at it like a college guy on his first trip to a strip club.

That's why I'm glad to see that Microsoft doesn't seem to be manhandling Minecraft. They bought it, arranged for a few Microsoft-based gimmicks, like MC for Win 10, and otherwise have left Mojang alone to continue basically printing money for them. Minecraft won't be a smash hit forever (just like Youtube as a career can't last forever, and eventually Facebook will disappear), but until it does go away, its everyone's best interest, especially Microsoft's, to just leave it where it is.

And even if it does slide from the public eye and the fanbase dwindles, there will still be those diehard fans keeping it alive, and a few crazy developers still making content for it. And I will probably be one lol

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by felinoel » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:22 pm

GalianRyu wrote:
felinoel wrote:
Orange1861 wrote:Windows 10 is for laptops that are weak.
Remember when Windows though tablets were what everyone wants and made their new OS for tablets only but with minor desktop computer capabilities?
And notice that Microsoft doesn't seem to be able to sell said tablets, no matter what they do. It's hard to predict the future of computing. Nobody say WiFi coming when it did, iPhones suddenly invented an entirely new realm of computing devices before anyone could react, and yet the tablet market have only had lukewarm success despite the fact that Apple, Google, and Microsoft through money at it like a college guy on his first trip to a strip club.

That's why I'm glad to see that Microsoft doesn't seem to be manhandling Minecraft. They bought it, arranged for a few Microsoft-based gimmicks, like MC for Win 10, and otherwise have left Mojang alone to continue basically printing money for them. Minecraft won't be a smash hit forever (just like Youtube as a career can't last forever, and eventually Facebook will disappear), but until it does go away, its everyone's best interest, especially Microsoft's, to just leave it where it is.

And even if it does slide from the public eye and the fanbase dwindles, there will still be those diehard fans keeping it alive, and a few crazy developers still making content for it. And I will probably be one lol
?
Microsoft invented the first tablets. They even called it the Microsoft Tablet, it came out years before the iPad

User avatar
GalianRyu
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:56 am
Location: R'yleh
Contact:

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by GalianRyu » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:05 am

felinoel wrote: ?
Microsoft invented the first tablets. They even called it the Microsoft Tablet, it came out years before the iPad
This is true, but it sold abysmally. There wasn't even 1 sold for every Microsoft employee lol. Tablets didn't catch on until after the Smart Phone revolution, so the first commercially viable one was the iPad. Its actually even the same with the smart phones themselves, Microsoft bought a company developing something like a smart phone two years before the iPhone came out, but they mishandled the transition and didn't keep the team from that company all working on the same projects, and the phone they ultimately came out with was just terrible. This was Steve Jobs' super power, taking ideas and technology that already existed and rebranding it in such a way that technophiles went apeshit over it.

Incidentally, the things I mentioned above with Microsoft were why everyone was dead certain that as soon as Microsoft acquired Mojang that Minecraft was just completely done. Every product and company that Microsoft bought during Steve Ballmer's reign as Chief got gutted, repurposed, and horribly transformed to be more "microsoft-friendly". He refused to back any project unless he could make it feature at least 12 other Microsoft-developed technologies. If he's still been at the helm, Minecraft would have been rewritten in JSharp, be Windows and X-Box exclusive, have micro transactions, and we'd just be talking fondly about the good old days when it was fun.

I can't even remember the new CEO's name right now, but I would still thank him from the bottom of my heart for being a genuinely intelligent businessman lol.

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Millenaire update (or recreation)

Post by felinoel » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:28 pm

GalianRyu wrote:I can't even remember the new CEO's name right now, but I would still thank him from the bottom of my heart for being a genuinely intelligent businessman lol.
lol

Post Reply