Creation quest anti-frustration idea

Use this forum to discuss feature suggestions for Millénaire
MauveCloud

Creation quest anti-frustration idea

Post by MauveCloud » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:18 am

Several times recently, I have been frustrated when trying to get a key lone building to spawn that I need for one of the creation quests, even after significant exploration through biomes that the building should be able to spawn in. Perhaps this can be mitigated by doing the following:
Once a quest step that needs a special lone building (that hasn't spawned naturally beforehand - there are some that can) starts, keep a hidden score for it, which increases when new chunks are generated with centers that have qualifying biomes (and maybe increase a little bit for other biomes as well, though perhaps not for ocean biomes).

If the score gets high enough to indicate the player has made a significant effort to find the building (e.g. equivalent to 500 chunks of qualifying biomes? not sure yet what a good number would be) but it still hasn't spawned, temporarily suspend the generation of villages and most other lone buildings (at least for that player if in a multiplayer setting, possibly by generating another tag that the villages and lone buildings have as a "forbiddenTag" entry, in case there are some that should be exempt from this suspension of generation). Once the building generates (or possibly if the quest expires, which might indicate the player has given up on it), this suspension can be reverted.

felinoel

Re: Creation quest anti-frustration idea

Post by felinoel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:39 pm

A good suggestion but keep in mind that these can spawn before you get the quest and so might already exist for you

MauveCloud

Re: Creation quest anti-frustration idea

Post by MauveCloud » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm

felinoel wrote:A good suggestion but keep in mind that these can spawn before you get the quest and so might already exist for you
Umm... I believe I already mentioned that:
(that hasn't spawned naturally beforehand - there are some that can)
There are also some that have weight 0 by default, and therefore won't spawn until the appropriate tag is set by the quest. In one of my older worlds, I explored for tens of thousands of blocks (maybe over 100km) after getting the Mayan quest to find the camp, and couldn't get it to spawn. Here's a Google Drive link to my 80MB+ exported JourneyMap from that, in case you'd like to try to evaluate whether I explored enough of the right biomes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JFtjnI ... zk_xY/view