On New Cultures

Use this forum to discuss feature suggestions for Millénaire
Post Reply
warmelbows
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:10 pm

On New Cultures

Post by warmelbows » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:18 pm

I have been playing Millenaire over the course of several years, and have seen the mod creators and fans dismiss a lot of ideas for cultures based on the fact that certain cultures are too similar to those already in the mod. I think it would be add very much to the depth of the mod if there WERE these similar but slightly different cultures in the game as well. However, these cultures that are already similar to those in the game would be sort of half-cultures, with only one or two village types and lone buildings and a lower occurrence rate. Many buildings from other cultures could be re-used in some cases, or only slightly edited. I understand the language part of millenaire is a huge chunk of the workload and this would require a lot of extra effort in that area, and that the mod team itself is much more focused on polishing what is there than they are on adding new cultures. Just spitballing. It would be interesting to see the differences.

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: On New Cultures

Post by felinoel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:16 pm

warmelbows wrote:I have been playing Millenaire over the course of several years, and have seen the mod creators and fans dismiss a lot of ideas for cultures based on the fact that certain cultures are too similar to those already in the mod.
You are welcome to make your own culture.

I plan to add the Norse which I am shot down and told is just the Normans at the time period, but I am still going to make a Norse culture.

warmelbows
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: On New Cultures

Post by warmelbows » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:31 am

felinoel wrote:
warmelbows wrote:I have been playing Millenaire over the course of several years, and have seen the mod creators and fans dismiss a lot of ideas for cultures based on the fact that certain cultures are too similar to those already in the mod.
You are welcome to make your own culture.

I plan to add the Norse which I am shot down and told is just the Normans at the time period, but I am still going to make a Norse culture.
I plan on giving it a shot, but it's going to be my introduction to modding (anything) so I'm not sure how far I'll get. Maybe the post would have sounded a little more constructive if I had mentioned that. I think Leon/Castille would be interesting and distinct enough. The Middle East needs some love but it seems some fellow has come along pretty far on that already, so I think a Spanish kingdom is what I would like to try if the creators thought it seemed like a good idea.

I think if done right, the Norse could be quite different from the Normans, what with the significant religious differences at the time, more traditional architecture (particularly the difference in roofing), etc making them stand out quite a bit... if it never gets added I'll certainly download it. If you need help designing buildings or skins I know I can do that, and if I figure out how to mod (and you'd like a hand) maybe my efforts would be better spent there.

But to elaborate on my first post, I think it would be interesting if there were village types that weren't necessarily cultures. I'm picturing several types of villages that can only spawn once per world and in very specific conditions, like one that represents the Papal State or Genoa, one that represents an Irish kingdom, one for Jerusalem... very vague ideas that I'm not even sure are possible, but I think it would really diversify the world in singleplayer.

kjdiehl
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: On New Cultures

Post by kjdiehl » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 am

Hm. I like that idea of unique city types. Kind of like a capital? Maybe not necessarily. But if each culture had a special village that is very rare* and if the player is able to upgrade it enough it builds like a cool monument or something. Like the Statue of Liberty or Eiffel Tower? I know that's not 11th century, but you get my drift. Maybe an extra big and special cathedral for the Normans? An epic pyramid for the Mayans? Do these special cities have any other unique traits? Like a larger village radius so they can cram in more buildings? Or maybe they need the extra radius to accommodate the much larger than usual monument. Like if a Norman castle is something like 20m square usually, make the monument cathedral at least twice that size. And several stories tall, with lots of rooms.

*I don't know about once per world. But maybe not more than one special city per... 2000 meters? 5000?

warmelbows
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Re: On New Cultures

Post by warmelbows » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:54 pm

kjdiehl wrote:Hm. I like that idea of unique city types. Kind of like a capital? Maybe not necessarily. But if each culture had a special village that is very rare* and if the player is able to upgrade it enough it builds like a cool monument or something. Like the Statue of Liberty or Eiffel Tower? I know that's not 11th century, but you get my drift. Maybe an extra big and special cathedral for the Normans? An epic pyramid for the Mayans? Do these special cities have any other unique traits? Like a larger village radius so they can cram in more buildings? Or maybe they need the extra radius to accommodate the much larger than usual monument. Like if a Norman castle is something like 20m square usually, make the monument cathedral at least twice that size. And several stories tall, with lots of rooms.

*I don't know about once per world. But maybe not more than one special city per... 2000 meters? 5000?
The idea of unique cities for the existing cultures is probably a more realistic one, and also pretty good. And forgive my wording, when I said 'no more than once per world,' I meant each different unique city would not spawn more than once. A minimum distance between each would probably also be a good idea.

User avatar
felinoel
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: On New Cultures

Post by felinoel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:19 pm

warmelbows wrote:
felinoel wrote:
warmelbows wrote:I have been playing Millenaire over the course of several years, and have seen the mod creators and fans dismiss a lot of ideas for cultures based on the fact that certain cultures are too similar to those already in the mod.
You are welcome to make your own culture.

I plan to add the Norse which I am shot down and told is just the Normans at the time period, but I am still going to make a Norse culture.
I plan on giving it a shot, but it's going to be my introduction to modding (anything) so I'm not sure how far I'll get. Maybe the post would have sounded a little more constructive if I had mentioned that. I think Leon/Castille would be interesting and distinct enough. The Middle East needs some love but it seems some fellow has come along pretty far on that already, so I think a Spanish kingdom is what I would like to try if the creators thought it seemed like a good idea.
There is not a lot of real modding involved, Millenaire is just highly customizable.
I think if done right, the Norse could be quite different from the Normans, what with the significant religious differences at the time, more traditional architecture (particularly the difference in roofing), etc making them stand out quite a bit... if it never gets added I'll certainly download it. If you need help designing buildings or skins I know I can do that, and if I figure out how to mod (and you'd like a hand) maybe my efforts would be better spent there.
I might just make a snowy modpack and add only the Inuits and the Normans but call the Normans the Norse lol, may add a few Norse-specific things though
But to elaborate on my first post, I think it would be interesting if there were village types that weren't necessarily cultures. I'm picturing several types of villages that can only spawn once per world and in very specific conditions, like one that represents the Papal State or Genoa, one that represents an Irish kingdom, one for Jerusalem... very vague ideas that I'm not even sure are possible, but I think it would really diversify the world in singleplayer.
This can definitely work with lonebuildings, but would take some unique coding

Owlblocks
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:58 am

Re: On New Cultures

Post by Owlblocks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:07 am

I started very bare work on an Irish culture a few months back. My first time with Millenaire custom content. I got a well created and was working on a city center (ringfort), but I had a number of ideas for various items and buildings. Not exactly an Irish cultural expert, though, so I had to do a bit of research.

Post Reply